Welcome to the Home Education Network!
Our aim is to support you in educating your children at home and through us you’ll be able to connect with other home educators, read inspiring and informative articles, and have access to various discounts, activities and camps.
Managing your membership
You can find your member number on the Account Details page where you can also change your password and update your contact details. By default your email address is your username. If you change your email address, email Megan at email@example.com who change your membership over to the new one.
New Home Educators
If you are new to home education or just finding your feet, take a look at our Getting Started Guide
Victorians: If you’d like feedback on your learning plan, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Otherways Magazine is published four times a year. All members have a year’s access to the website and digital access to new Otherways issues plus our archive going back to 2000. To access these, visit the Digital Downloads page while logged in – accessible via the Member menu or shop.
In addition, Hardcopy Members receive four printed magazines mailed to their address over the course of the year.
Free Member Publications:
HEN News Options
We have an email list with news, resources, activities etc. You’ll be subscribed to the weekly list but can change or unsubscribe at any time without affecting your membership. There are three levels of news:
- ‘Weekly'(includes all events, camps, Vic legal news and notification when new Otherways edition published)
- ‘Monthly’ (as above but less often)
- ‘Otherways Only’ (We’ll email you quarterly to let you know Otherways is available)
Connecting with Other Home Educators
There are various ways to connect with other home educators through HEN:
- Join the HEN facebook group by emailing email@example.com with your member name and facebook email address.
- Join a local or online group
- Attend an activity or camp
- If you live in an area where there don’t seem to be any other home educators the options are:
- Place a notice in our weekly newsletter for others interested in starting a local group – email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put up a notice at your local library advertising a home ed group – if there are any other home ed families in your area, chances are they use the library regularly.
- Consider starting your own group, some helpful info can be found here
HEN has a public liability policy to $20 million for non-profit home ed events anywhere in Australia. HEN volunteers running events can list them on the HEN insurance register. Volunteers are also covered by our personal accident policy.
- Otherways magazine is published quarterly – available online to all members and mailed to hardcopy members
- Membership Card – print your own from the Account Details page or email email@example.com
- Access to HEN’s public liability insurance if you are running an event.
- Advertise home education events you are organising in Otherways and/or by email notification to members
- News of camps, classes and events
- Access to competitions (Rio Tinto Big Science Competition, Australian Mathematics Competition, Australian Informatics Competition) with HEN as your ‘school’. These competitions do not accept individual entries – watch the HEN emails for entry dates.
- Support HEN’s voice in advocating for home educators
- Discounted entry to many HEN activities and classes.
- Pathways advice on uni entry etc email Julie firstname.lastname@example.org